Orange County Arts Council is seeking original 10-minute theatrical plays, screenplays, or scenes to be presented as script-in-hand readings only as part of a Ten Minute Play Festival being held on Thursday, July 12 at Warwick Performing Arts Center to help celebrate the Warwick Summer Arts Festival.
Up to ten plays will be selected and performed from among the submissions. The focus of this event is on the voice of the Orange County playwright.
- Submission Deadline: Friday, June 1
- Selections Announced: Friday, June 15
- In order to encourage maximum creativity, there will be no specific theme
- All entrants must be residents or students of Orange County and 14 years old or older by the submission deadline
- Works may have been previously performed or filmed, but must be original work.
- All pages of the manuscript must be sequentially numbered and each page must include the title of the play.
- Collaborations are welcome. At least one of the writers must be an Orange County resident or student.
- Musical theatre pieces will be accepted. The sum total of the piece, including music, must not be longer than 10 minutes.
- If your submission is part of a longer piece, include a brief introductory paragraph, which will serve to orient the judges and audience.
- Submitted pieces must contain at least two (2) characters, but no more than four (4).
- Works must consist mainly of dialogue – not monologues.
- Works will only be accepted through Submittable. See our website: ocartscouncil.org for more information. Submittable link: https://orangecountynyartscouncil.submittable.com/submit/110660/ten-minute-play-festival-2018-entrie...
- Readings of chosen works will be script-in-hand, not staged.
- Five chairs and five music stands will be provided. (This includes one for stage directions reader.)
- Costumes are not required.
- All casting and directorial decisions will be made by the submitting playwright. The Arts Council will solicit and compile a list of area actors and directors, and will be provided to writers upon request. However, the Arts Council will NOT be responsible for providing cast members or directors. It is advised that writers not direct their own works.
- Selected writers will bear all responsibility for any rehearsals they may wish to hold. Additionally, neither the Arts Council nor the presenting venue will provide rehearsal space.
- Participating playwrights will be introduced at the end of the program, after which there will be an informal reception for attendees, playwrights, and cast members.